[TriLUG] reason not to mix batteries in UPS

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jan 8 20:46:04 EST 2023

The whole point of a UPS is to improve reliability, so the *un*reliability
of their batteries is especially annoying.

I've considered replacing a 12v lead-acid battery with four LiFePO4
batteries, like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203613239129

Has anyone on the list tried that?

LiFePO4 batteries are supposed to sacrifice some of the energy density of
"regular" lithium-ion batteries for much improved longevity.

Dave