[Hosting] Hosting update

Tanner Lovelace hosting@trilug.org
06 Aug 2002 16:09:29 -0400

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 14:35, prhodes@vdsinc.com wrote:

> I haven't been all that active (reading or posting) on the lists in a few
> months, so maybe I'm behind the times.. but I thought one of the goals
> of this whole idea of Tri-LUG hosting was to provide hosting
> for local open-source projects, sort-of like a local version of
> SourceForge?
>
> If that's still in the works, we'll need hardware to support that. I
> recall discussions of a build farm (for x-platform building of projects),
> an bug database (bugzilla or something along those lines), etc....
>
> If, on the other hand, those ideas have already been scrapped, then
> please dis-regard this message...

Hi Phillip,

I don't think any of that has changed, just we decided that
some other things needed to be done beforehand.  We now have
a surplus of boxes available that we can, if needed, task
towards other things.  For example, when we get the hard
drive on stonesoup replaced, that might make a fairly
good intel build box.  First, though, we need to get our
own house in order.  Once that is done, we can move forward
to other things.

The good news is that getting our stuff together is moving
ahead quite nicely.  I'm going to be installing the
kerberos/ldap/email server in the rack tonight.  Kerberos and
ldap are setup on it, and e-mail should *hopefully* be done
by the time the meeting comes around.  (Enough to give
people accounts then? Maybe.)  The ftp server setup
should happen later this week too. (I have to pull out
a dead drive and setup logical volume management before
putting it in the rack.)  That will free up space on fatalpha
so people can have more disk space available for shell
accounts.  (I'd actually like to get LVM working on
fatalpha so we can use the three mirror disks as one
large /home directory.)

So, yes, we'd still like to do that, but there's a couple of
things to do beforehand.  Don't forget about it, though.
If people don't remind us of these things, they're likely
to get lost in the shuffle. :-)

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace@wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/