[Hosting] RE: [Sys] Imap: Squirrelmail folks are nutty for it

Jon Carnes hosting@trilug.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:15:00 -0400

I'm happy to get SpamAssassin running for Trilug.  I run it here system wide
and it works great!  The TriLUG mail server has 1Gb of RAM so SpamAssassin
is not going to hurt it in the least.  I run it on a 450Mhz P-II with 512Mb
and it processes over 4K messages a day - no problem (but it was a problem
with only 256Mb till we upped the memory to 512Mb).

Sounds like everyone is nutty for Squirrel mail here as well.  So why don't
we do that real quick on the mail server and see what we see for folks!

As always, I'm willing to back my obtuse comments with the work to pull it
off, so let me know...

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: sys-admin@trilug.org [mailto:sys-admin@trilug.org]On Behalf Of
Tanner Lovelace
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 1:16 PM
To: sys@trilug.org
Subject: Re: [Sys] Imap: Squirrelmail folks are nutty for it

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 12:41, Thunder Bear wrote:
> I use Squirrelmail at Eastern Rad and it is awesome.  There is a nice
> collection of plugins available, though I found the SpamAssassin plugin
> will kill almost any processor.  Other than that, it's been a real nice
> app.
>
> There is no rule saying you only have to have one webmail app.  Someone
> wants Squirrelmail?  Give 'em squirrelmail!   Same goes for IMP, etc.
> As long as it does IMAP and leaves the messages in the mailbox...

On my personal box I have both imp and squirrel mail running.
They work fine together since they both use imap. :-)

As far as spam assassin is concerned, I'm planning on making it
work systemwide. :-)

> There will be a little bit of admin overhead though for patching

patching?  Explain.
===

He simply means its one more application that we have to monitor and keep
recent.