[TriLUG-announce] May 8 Meeting: SystemD and Steering Committee Elections

Barry Peddycord III bwpeddyc at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 16 08:26:35 EDT 2014

Topic: SystemD
Presenter: David Both
When: Thursday, 8th May 2014, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: NC State Engineering Building II Room 1021, Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking decks and Oval Drive street parking are free after 5pm
Website: http://trilug.org/2014-05-08/systemd

This presentation will briefly review the Linux boot process and the old
SystemV startup process. It will then discuss in more detail the startup
process using systemd, and the reasons for creating the new systemd
daemon and some of the advantages it provides. We will also discuss
configuration files and some of the more common commands required to
cause systemd to do our bidding. Backward compatibility will also be
covered.

Note that we will be having our elections on May 8. To vote in the
elections, you will need to be a TriLUG "member".  If you filled out a
membership form at the April meeting or before, you are all set. Voting
will be performed by paper ballot during the May meeting, and you must
be present to vote.

In addition to voting for the new steering committee, there will be a
vote to approve the new bylaws of Trilug, which is being done to improve
our ability to register as a nonprofit charity with the IRS. For the
most part, the new bylaws are being created by refactoring the articles
of incorporation and separating out day to day business from "What makes
us Trilug". There will be a special interest meeting on these bylaws
next week for anyone interested - keep an eye out for the announcement.