[TriLUG-announce] Meeting: November 8 - Zenoss

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Tue Oct 23 22:05:30 EDT 2018

Topic: Zenoss
Presenter: Chris Freeman
When: Thursday, 8 Nov 2018 - 6:45pm to 9:00pm
Where: NCSU College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Dr., Room 2207 (https://trilug.org/meetings/)
Parking: Underground parking deck immediately adjacent to the building (see map)
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1UrgaJS-tvi3X26JL_sed9V9cgoA

IT is evolving.  It isn't a rack of servers and network devices anymore.
It doesn't have the traditional administrative roles any more.  Why would
we continue to use traditional monitoring?  As more advanced solutions
evolve, so must we.  Zenoss started as an open-source project, and has
evolved into a necessary tool for a hybrid IT environment.  Infrastructure
is not what it was -  we now talk about containers, orchestration, and
consumption models.  Applications need to be aware, and 3 9s of uptime
isn't the goal - it's the standard expectation.  How prepared are you to
manage your portfolio in your data center?  On someone else's data center?
On the cloud?

Speaker Bio:

Chris Freeman joined NetApp in 2014 to assist in the transition from
NetApp's previous monitoring solution to Zenoss Service Dynamics.
Previous to NetApp, he helped determine best monitoring practices and
designed new monitors for a large financial organization.  He developed
monitoring tools for a Fortune 50 company, and redesigned the SNMP stack
into a consumable API.