[Trilug-ontopic] Anyone have info on Ubuntu local disk persistent usbkey home dir?

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:00:52 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Greg Cox <glcox at pobox.com> wrote:
>> I presume that you have considered the speed and durability issues of
>> using a USB memory stick?
>
> See, this is what gets me.  Where is there a Very Simple Setup
> that boots off a live CD (then spins it down), merges a config off
> a USB key (then spins it down), and just runs from memory?
>
> Upgrade?  New CD.
> Restore?  Old CD.
> New iptable rule?  Write config to key.
>
> The closest I've found is some slackware remaster that, as of a year
> or so ago, made a braindead choice to not merge in the USB key automatically
> on boot.

Yeah seems that if you want a persistent home from a Live CD you are
set.  But if you want a persistent home with a locally installed
system it is assumed you just use the local disk or a network mounted
disk, etc.

Right now I'm looking into udev-rules.  The problem seems to be that
if I connect a USB key and I'm not already logged in it won't mount it
BEFORE I log in or at log in.  The ramdisk is a thought though.  I
wonder if I could create a ramdisk that I could temporarily use then
"pivot home" upon login and then re-source my dot files?  Sounds
painful though . . .

l8r,

Mike
--