[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Tue Oct 30 08:13:21 EST 2001

Let me give you a quick background on why I even tried Mandrake.

A few months ago, I upgraded my work PC from a P-III 450MHz with an Intel
mainboard with PC100MHz RAM bus, to an AMD with an ASUS/AMD motherboard with
PC2100 (266MHz) RAM bus. When I tried to reinstall RH 7.1, anaconda failed
with a signal 11. I posted it and it was recommended that I try MD, since I
was so stuck on using RH (been an RH Linux supporter since RHL 5.1) . So I
tried MD, since it's basically RH with MD tools and enhancements.

With that said, when I installed it, I found the installer, although lengthy
and somewhat large, very helpful in the installation.

For example,
 MD's installer listed the steps on the left of the graphical installer on
where I was, had been, and the remaining steps. Now please understand, I
"grew up" in the M$ world, so I was used to this kind of information. I
didn't wonder "how much was left", and I could go back to previous step
easily.

Second,
 I was able to look at the packages and their designations (i.e. Base,
System, Development, etc.) in a "tree" style layout(sort of like Windoze
Explorer). I was able to see how they interact with each other. Also, I
simply had to put my mouse over the package and a brief description of that
package showed up, much like a Windoze "mouse-over" would. In the past, I
would have to have one machine on the net to look up the package and find
out what it was and install Linux on the other, but this made that
unnecessary. I was able to choose what I wanted vs. install the defaults and
use GnoRPM or KPackage to look at the descriptions and remove them.

Another thing about the package chooser, if you removed a check from the
tree for a package (i.e. the package "sane"), if there was a dependancy it
would immediately inform you of the failed dependancy (i.e. "xsane") saying
something like "removing this package will break the dependancies to that
package. Would you like to remove that package as well?" then I was able to
make an informed choice instead of trying to figure out what I broke after
the installation was done.

All vendors of Linux are going to find folks like me trying to migrate from
M$ based systems to Linux based. Currently, I recommend to my collegues and
friends to install Mandrake to learn about the OS, and then when they are
comfortable in the Linux world, to remove it and install RedHat. This way I
know they will be familiar with RPM, and most of the RH tools. I've tried
Slackware, Mandrake, Caldera, Dragon, Armed, Peanut, LoopLinux, and RedHat.
I'm the most comfortable with RedHat, it's just it took the others to teach
Linux to me.

One final thought, Mandrake has this online "tutorial" called Mandrake
Campus. I think this is a very useful tool and a very good way that ALL
Linux vendors could show that Linux isn't just for "geeks" anymore. Their
tutorial starts at the basic fundamentals of Open Source, Freeware, and GNU
licensing. It gives a basic history of Linux and then starts you down the
road on how to use it, then how to admin your box. Very similar to a
"Dummies" style introduction.

Hope this helps.