[TriLUG] OT: Diagnosing CD-R problems

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sat Nov 3 15:05:05 EST 2001

I have been fighting with my Plextor SCSI CD-R all week.  I was trying
to make pcc Linux cd's, but none were able to boot.  Thought it was
something about burning ppc on x86, but found out that works fine for
others.  So, download a Mandrake x86 iso and md5ed it.  No problems.
Burned it and I get messages about corrupt kernel when trying to boot.
Tried different media and I got the same problems.

So, I have the following options:

1) ISO is bad
2) Media is bad
3) CD-R is dead
4) User error :)

I do not get any errors during cdrecord/xcdroast burning.  Nothing in
the messages file.  Any way to confirm the cd-r is not the problem?  I
ama getting Plextor software and a new firmware for Windows to test.
What else can I do?

Thanks,
Bill