[TriLUG] cheap system recomendations??

Michael Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 19:06:44 EST 2001

I've been able to build systems for cheaper than that by getting
piece parts.  I've built 5 now.  The last one is as follows.

Mobo, uATX $70 (fticomputer.com)
CPU, 256Mb RAM, fan $82 (allstarshop.com)
FDD, CDROM $50 (driveguys.com)
Case, kbd, LANcard $45  (PCwebshopper.com)
HDD info not provided, not relevant since I had req. for very small
very cheap HDD (I want to eliminate HDD from my app.); expect to pay
$100-$200 depending on size; get 7200 RPM; match the mobo to DMA
specs; I got some IBMs in the past that seem fast and reliable; the
smaller WD are troublesome but WD is very good about replacing them;
WD has a neat low level diagnostic that works with every disk - very
handy

The posted barebone system is $189 for box and CPU and lan card
(built in? is that a good idea? is there a driver for it?).  By
comparison you can get a box for $25-$35, a CPU for $35-$50, and a
LAN card for as low as $7.  The rest of Outpost's prices look high
to me.

Here's a nutshell version of how I shop the web.

I usually use pricewatch.com.  I always call the site before buying
to ensure there are humans concerned enough to answer the phone.
Calling at noon adds stress to the test.  Watch out for exorbitant
shipping fees.  Try to use east coast suppliers and ship ground
track (it's as good as 2 day oftentimes).

Pay with a VISA or similar with dispute resolution capability.  I
went through this once - which is why I have the rule about calling
the site.  It works! Keep all records.  Ask for shipping details if
they are not provided automatically.

HTH,
Mike