[TriLUG] February Meeting

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jan 28 18:59:04 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, James Manning wrote:

> [Tanner Lovelace]
> > Now, I will take exception to this statement.  Durham is not that
> > bad a place.  If you think it is, then go ahead and stay in Raleigh
> > because we don't want you here!
>
> While Durham has its nice spots, having gone to NCSSM (co 92, admittedly),
> I can assure you that Waltown (sp?) and various places along Club are,
> in fact, not where you'll be taking kids for a stroll past 8pm.
>
> Waltown and Club Blvd made up 95% or more of the attempted (most
> successful) muggings of my fellow SMers, so while painting Durham with
> a generalization isn't fair, neither is pretending that the crime rates
> _in_ _that_ _area_ are any lower than reality.

But the directions don't mention anything about going via Walltown or Club
Blvd, so I don't think that's fair to say that Al Johnson -- in his car,
no less, is going to be in any danger!  Sheesh, you're much more likely to
get in a car crash at the corner of Cornwallis Rd and Institute Dr, while
entering RTI[1].  Also, there will be a security guard on duty
specifically for our event.  Gosh this discussion has gotten out of
hand...[2]

--Jeremy

[1] Site of a fatality last year.
[2] Durham does have a high crime rate, but not particularly in the
western area we're talking about.  Most crime is in eastern Durham --
CanalSt/ Holloway St area for example.  But this is off-topic.