[TriLUG] "taxation without representation"

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 00:00:10 EST 2002

RE:  Laptop Hardware Question

Does anyone else see the mandatory Microsoft tax issue here? Ken is looking
for a resonably priced laptop at CompUSA to run Linux on, but he will be
paying microsoft for the privilage as the laptop will, most assuredly, come
pre-installed with MS ME/98.
I am sure that the laptop will make a great Linux 'top, but why does Ken have
to pay the micro$oft for the privilage. Yes it seems like a good idea to buy
a computer appliance, but  if you choose to run your appliance on an
alternate OS, you should not be forced to pay for the OS that comes
pre-installed.
As extreme as this may sound, can you not imagine an OS refund of $xx from
micro$uck if you choose an alternate another OS.
"I hereby declare that I will not run Microsoft software of any kind,... blah
blah" give me my money back!
This only seems reasonable, and not unusual from the usual mail-in rebates
offered.
Preferably, you would have your choice of OS, but facing reality, that is not
going to happen anytime soon - 10-20 yrs perhaps.

Thoughts?