[TriLUG] Time slows post kernel update

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Feb 22 15:29:04 EST 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> Ok, no response on the first post...

Huh?  I don't think your first post made it; I don't remember it.

> It turns out it has nothing to do w/ the version of the kernel I'm
> running.  It has to adjust about 6.5 seconds every day.  I'm using
> ntpdate once a day ( via /etc/cron.daily/ ).  I'm synch'ing w/ a time
> server I've set up here that I have several other systems using as
> well, but this is the only system w/ such a large offset ( but it has
> been consistent ).

I don't know if this is a problem with your hardware or not, but there are
several ways you can adjust more automatically than every day.  For
example, you can install full-blown ntp which can monitor the systematic
drift and automatically set it, without contacting the time server.  Be
sure your hardware clock is being set along with the kernel
clock; "/sbin/hwclock --systohc" is one way to sync them.  Read the man
page on "hwclock" for much more info on this stuff, and then get ntp if
you really want to delve into it.

--Jeremy

 --
My New Year's Resolution is 800x600.