[TriLUG] Linux and RoadRunner ( was Linux and ATT)

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 5 15:29:01 EST 2002

Think about this: The "don't support Linux" line many times means that they
"don't support Macintosh either"!!

I figure what's going on is that there is some money going under the table
to certain key people to "prefer" just one OS over all the others. (Or maybe
MS is doing it in a even cheaper way).
      Someone was talking about the FCC website supporting only Windoze
stuff, and suggested that the amateur radio community could help rectify
this. Well, sorry to say the FCC regulates the amateur radio community not
vice-versa, and interestingly enough even the Mac users cannot use the FCC
database, although the FCC wants us to stop sending them paper and do
everything online!! The FCC has had many complaints about their website but
since they are the FCC they do pretty much what they want to do.

My final point is simply this:

If a site won't work with Linux it is pretty certain that it won't work with
Macs either. And pretty much everone knows what a Mac is. But since Macs are
becoming BSD machines something is going to have to change!!  If you
discover situations like this, I would suggest you get a OSX Mac friend to
test the site as well. Then instead of just complaining that it won't work
with Linux, you can say, "What's going on here, your site won't work with
Macs OR Linux?"  This should gain you a little more "respect" in the dummy's
eyes, simply because unless he's been living under a rock he will know what
a Mac is. Other strategies even suggest themselves, get your Mac friend to
also complain as well as all your Tri-Lug associates. :-) ---Al Johnson
=======