[TriLUG] (XTERM) NCD Explora XA

Nathan Conrad conrad at cs.unc.edu
Fri Apr 12 00:47:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:41:27PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> I wanted to kick off a thread for the people who picked up some X
> Terminals tonight.  As a courtesy for people who want to filter these
> threads out, I suggest we keep "(XTERM)" in the subject header for easy
> filtering.
>
> Firstly, to whoever donated these to the LUG, thank you!  This should be
> great fun to play with.  The "naked" terminal was rejected by a few
> people so I decided it would be great fun to try and get that one into a
> more interesting chassis (I'm thinking lunchbox, but the system board
> might be a tad too big).
>
> So let's keep each other informed on what we learn about these things so
> that they will be useful for everyone else, and since I know Google is
> crawling our list archives we will hopefully be able to kick back some
> good info beyond our smaller circle.

First of all, I've been having better luck with the NC200 than the
Explora. The company that makes these boxes (NCD) seems to like to
sell their software for money. I found a set of patch files which
allowed the NC200 to boot. I put these in the /usr/tekxp2/boot
directory, and it booted. It brought up a dialog box that allowed me
to telnet places and to run xdmcp. The interface seemed a bit too
green, as if there was a problem with the video card. This was set up
using dhcpd and tftp on my main computer (Max). It was able to connect
to UNC sites (via telnet).

The Explora is a bit of a troublemaker. It requires a file named
Xncdxpl to boot. My box had an IP address in the following netblock
(whois info):

University of Texas System Office of Telecommunication Services
(NETBLK-THENET-CIDR-3) THENET-CIDR-3
					204.158.0.0 - 204.158.255.255
Providence Memorial Hospital (NETBLK-PROVIDENCE-4) PROVIDENCE-4
				       204.158.248.0 - 204.158.255.255

I could not find a copy of the Explora boot file, and cannot get the
Explora to do anything usefull (yet).

I'll keep you informed as I learn more.

-Nathan

--
Nathan J. Conrad <conrad at cs.unc.edu> (919) 929-6413
101 Cynthia Drive / Chapel Hill, NC 27514-6614