[TriLUG] (XTERM) NCD Explora XA

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:00:07 EDT 2002

I did not pick up an Xterm last night, however, I am working with xterms
on a daily basis.  I know that the NCD licensing is not attractive on an
individual basis :-(  We have found that the Exploras tend to work
better with at least 16MB of RAM in them and we are currently looking at
getting Kingston KVR4X32-60ET/16 for them (waiting for an order to come
in to complete some additional testing).

Nathan Conrad wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:41:27PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > I wanted to kick off a thread for the people who picked up some X
> > Terminals tonight.  As a courtesy for people who want to filter these
> > threads out, I suggest we keep "(XTERM)" in the subject header for easy
> > filtering.
> >
> > Firstly, to whoever donated these to the LUG, thank you!  This should be
> > great fun to play with.  The "naked" terminal was rejected by a few
> > people so I decided it would be great fun to try and get that one into a
> > more interesting chassis (I'm thinking lunchbox, but the system board
> > might be a tad too big).
> >
> > So let's keep each other informed on what we learn about these things so
> > that they will be useful for everyone else, and since I know Google is
> > crawling our list archives we will hopefully be able to kick back some
> > good info beyond our smaller circle.
> >

> First of all, I've been having better luck with the NC200 than the
> Explora. The company that makes these boxes (NCD) seems to like to
> sell their software for money. I found a set of patch files which
> allowed the NC200 to boot. I put these in the /usr/tekxp2/boot
> directory, and it booted. It brought up a dialog box that allowed me
> to telnet places and to run xdmcp. The interface seemed a bit too
> green, as if there was a problem with the video card. This was set up
> using dhcpd and tftp on my main computer (Max). It was able to connect
> to UNC sites (via telnet).
>
> The Explora is a bit of a troublemaker. It requires a file named
> Xncdxpl to boot. My box had an IP address in the following netblock
> (whois info):
>
> University of Texas System Office of Telecommunication Services
> (NETBLK-THENET-CIDR-3) THENET-CIDR-3
>                                         204.158.0.0 - 204.158.255.255
> Providence Memorial Hospital (NETBLK-PROVIDENCE-4) PROVIDENCE-4
>                                        204.158.248.0 - 204.158.255.255
>
> I could not find a copy of the Explora boot file, and cannot get the
> Explora to do anything usefull (yet).
>
> I'll keep you informed as I learn more.
>
> -Nathan

> > OpenBSD
>
> --
> Nathan J. Conrad <conrad at cs.unc.edu> (919) 929-6413
> 101 Cynthia Drive / Chapel Hill, NC 27514-6614
> GPG: F4FC 7E25 9308 ECE1 735C  0798 CE86 DA45 9170 3112
> https://attaque.dhs.org/

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5
Systems Programmer Administrator I
NC State University, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Extension and Administrative Technology Services
Phone: (919) 515-3609