[TriLUG] Re: [messed up subject heading]

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Apr 29 16:20:52 EDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-1] Peter Long wrote:

> I am a little concerned by the fact that the trilug mailing list archives
> are publicly searchable. What are the chances of a web-spider type thing
> harvesting our email addresses from these archives?
>
> I have on two occasions received email from people not on the list
> regarding questions I had posted on the list. I have no problem with
> genuine email queries like that, but I dread the day that I start getting
> spam at this address.

Hi,

The mailing list archive munges the email address in the headers; all mail
is listed as coming from "trilug at trilug.org"
Look at:
http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20020429/thread.html

The only way your address would be posted is if someone quotes your
address in their reply, or if you have it in a sig file or something.

I think mailing list archives are a huge asset, and since this is a public
list, spammers could join and get email addresses that way too.  I don't
think there's a need to be too paranoid about it.

By the way, your mail client did something really strange to the subject
line.  In pine, it looks like this:
Subject: [TriLUG]
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Concerns_about_public_mail_archives_(was:_The_Samba_Question_you_posted_about
_printing)?=

So much for SquirrelMail being perfect.  Or maybe it's pine being
wierd?

--Jeremy