[TriLUG] gpg/pgp keyservers?

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 29 17:19:20 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:49:47PM -0400, James Manning wrote:
> For Ken Mink's email my mutt's (well, gpg's) default keyserver is listed
> as wwwkeys.pgp.net and doesn't find his key there

I use wwwkeys.de.pgp.net.

> gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

Yes, we all know the dangers of suid binaries, but you should consider
marking /usr/bin/gpg suid root to get rid of the above message. Just a
healthy paranoia that cuts both ways. :)

> 1) do the keyservers talk to each other? - (gpg(1)'s --keyserver option
>    sez "All keyservers synchronize with each other - so there is no need
>    to send keys to more than one server.")

Supposedly, but it doesn't appear to actually work that way. :-\

> 2) if wwwkeys.pgp.net is deprecated, where are the various places I'll need
>    to specify a different keyserver?

Try the one I listed.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc