Static IP (was Re: [TriLUG] Hopefully not so easy...)

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Fri May 3 11:35:53 EDT 2002

[Lisa C. Boyd]
> I also use RR so this is of interest to me. How many of you use RR to host
> your own server?

I host my own web/mail with RR and it's been fine for me even with
dynamic IP.  any recent ddclient is way simple to get installed and
configured.  Having a dynamic IP has never been a problem for me, so
I've never bothered considering static.

after a few lines in my /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(whateverdomain.com)dnl

and an m4 to regen the cf, sanity checks on /etc/hosts and that's all
the hassle it's ever been *shrug* - I don't get what the big deal is
- ddclient updates very quickly for any updates (and you can do the
dhcpcd/pump-based updates if you really want "zero" switchover time)
and I think my last IP change was like 40 or 50 days ago anyway *shrug*

James