[TriLUG] Hopefully not so easy...

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri May 3 22:31:25 EDT 2002

Christopher Knowles wrote:
> Very interested.  I've heard recommendations for sendmail (for those who like
> a challenge...) exim (as being easier and "saner" than sendmail) and
> postfix... So, can proponents of the three duke it out for my amusement?  :)

I wouldn't say I'm a 'proponent', but I do use Postfix.
I had never configured or run a mail server (for that
matter, I was still a Linux newbie) and I wanted to set
one up on my server.  Based on comparisons I found in
various articles online, Postfix was one of the easiest
mail servers to configure, one of the most secure and it
is suitable for heavy-duty use. I bought a book (Postfix
by Richard Blum) based on recommendations on Amazon. The
book was very thorough, both on basic Internet mail
protocols and operation, and on setting up and
configuring Postfix.  After a few hours reading the book,
I had Postfix up-n-running in a matter of hours.  Never
so much as a hiccup since then (6-9 months ago).

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com