[TriLUG] Red Hat 7.3 + Ximian = bad mojo

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Jun 15 23:38:55 EDT 2002

FWIW, I've about had my fill of the minor problems (and some major ones
now) that have built up since putting Ximian Gnome on top of my Red Hat
7.3 system.

I use 7.3 at client sites, without Red Carpet, and it works fine.  But
the final straw tonight was when Evolution 1.0.5 lost all of my mail
settings (!!!!).  I upgraded to 1.0.7 and they didn't magically return.
Ugh.  My messages so far seem to be there but it was a scary period for
awhile there.

Also memory is leaking badly.  I've got half a gig of RAM, and when the
system is idle (with only 8 days of uptime) I'm 23MB into swap.  This is
without evo even running.

To top it all off, my RPM database seems to be fubar.  I can no longer
use Red Carpet to update my system.  I've been careful to ONLY use Red
Carpet and ONLY take recommended upgrades.  Nevertheless, I can no
longer use Red Carpet as the RPM database seems whacked.