[TriLUG] Question: LAN Gaming Party (where?)

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Fri Jun 28 09:47:43 EDT 2002

Okay, you've brought up an interesting area of unknowledge for me - and I
only need a short answer to make my Linux hour:

Bill's understanding of "Sound Under Linux":  You can have a sound driver in
the kernel to virtualize the device a-la Windows DirectX, you can have a
process that directly writes to the sound card /dev/whatever thing, or you
can (apparently) toss a module into your GUI-of-choice which handles sound
in a virtual sort of way for GUI-friendly apps.

Question:  What is the most commonly applied method for managing the sound
card under Linux in GUI environments (KDE/Gnome/?)  Do most games (Quake3,
UT, ?) handle sound with their own sound driver support a-la MS-DOS in the
early 90's?  Do they call a common module type or backgrounded process and
exe from a shell?  Or what all?

Goal: To understand how I should expect my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card to
be configured such that I can use the majority of sound tools available for
GNU/Linux or Anti-GNU/Linux (pick your favorite moniker of the day,) without
making significant changes each time I want to run an app.

This is a usability question as well, think of it in terms of convenience as
well as tech.  I'll be sure to note my results and add them to a paper file
that may one day become another public domain "How-To" on desktop Linux.

Thanks!
Bill