[TriLUG] mail server

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 14 14:43:53 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 14:24, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>
> > Specifically *because* he is pretty new at this, among other reasons, I
> > would recommend *not* using Sendmail and instead using Postfix.
> > Sendmail tweaking *is* rocket science.  Postfix is actually pretty
> > darned easy to set up.
>
> If you use the recommended M4 method to configure sendmail, it's certainly
> NOT rocket science.  A bit obtuse at worst, but not the mess that most
> people make it out to be.  It's the extremely rare case that you'll ever
> have to do any tweaking on sendmail.cf.

Agreed.  I've personally *never* had to hand-tweak sendmail.cf -- I've
only had to edit the M4 configuration, and the various other files in
/etc/mail .  It's really NOT that hard, especially if you read the
documentation provided by your distribution, rather than generic
documentation which can go way overboard.  And my point was that a new
user doesn't NEED to do much tweaking -- sendmail "just works" for basic
configurations.

But I agree that postfix seems to be easy to use, and it is supported by
modern distributions.  Qmail seems to be the most difficult to use of
the top three.

--Jeremy