[TriLUG] Kernel compilation class

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Nov 11 13:39:34 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 12:08, Jim Ray wrote:
> Actually, our goals are one in the same.  By compiling kernels to run
> the minimum necessary services and by distributing http, smtp, ftp,
> file/print services onto separate computers, one minimizes the
> probability for catastrophic system failure in a corporate environment.

What do you mean by "compiling the kernel for the minimum necessary
services?"  In general, the kernel is responsible for providing the base
OS functions (memory management, scheduling, etc.) and hardware
drivers.  Other than special-purpose things like tux (the kernel-based
web server), why is optimizing the kernel that important for services?

Here's how I do kernel setup on my production systems:
	1)  Production systems are using hardware that's well supported by
Linux, so I don't need obscure drivers
	2)  Red Hat Linux provides kernels that are extremely well tested in
simulated production environments (as opposed to "stock" kernels which
are often less tested)
	3)  Red Hat Linux provides easy updates to the kernel when security
patches or new releases are available.

I think there are a lot of advantages to using kernels from Red Hat or
other distributors.  I know I don't have nearly the expertise to choose
the correct kernel options -- but Red Hat has several full-time people
who spend all day optimizing the kernel.  And since I have little
obscure hardware, why would I want to recompile?

Now, if the topic were "recompiling the 2.4 kernel so RHL 8 installs on
a 486" -- I could see the merit in that.  But for a production, modern
server, the Red Hat kernels serve me well.

--Jeremy