[TriLUG] Re: Label me stupid - undelete cmds?

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Thu Jan 2 07:56:27 EST 2003

> [bp]
> While sorting a large set of files this morning I mindlessly did a \rm
> -fr on the directory I had sorted. The 11GB of sorted files was quickly
> reduced by 4GB by the time I quickly hit Ctrl+C.  Is there anyway to
> easily recover these files?  I realize the answer may likely be no and
> thats what I get for being stupid before 7am.
>
> The filesystem was a smbmount of a Windows2000 share.  The win2k recycle
> bin is empty.

what was the filesystem type of the share? :)  NTFS (more likely) or
FAT32 (less), but other possibilities exist (iirc)

well, the recycle bin's just a software layover that eventually takes
the connecting flight to a bit bucket, but even without that, there's
still lots of undelete options at the filesystem level back on the
win2k box - a google search for "undelete ntfs" has lots of options.

First rule, though, is to make sure to run whatever util from floppy
or the network - installing anything on that machine (writing any
files) is gonna start losing your data :)

For what should be the same solution path:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20150636.html
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4