[TriLUG] Installing Red Hat 7.1 on RS/6000, type 7046-B50

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Fri Mar 7 19:01:14 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 09:24, Turnpike Man wrote:
> >--- Brent Fox <bfox at linuxheadquarters.com> wrote:
> > Are you trying to do a serial install or do you have a monitor hooked up
> > to the machine?
> >

> I have a graphics card installed, works well.  From all I can figure, my disc 1
> of 3 must have something wrong with it?!?  I can read its contents in my W2k
> workstation drive with no problem.  I have NO clue how or where to begin making
> my own bootable CD for this architecture if this one is bad.  We only have 1
> burner here and it is external SCSI on a Win machine.  Here's what is on the
> root of the CD:
>
> /etc
> /ppc
> /RedHat
> .disc1-ppc
> autorun
> COPYING
> README
> README.de
> README.ja
> RELEASE-NOTES
> RELEASE-NOTES.de
> RELEASE-NOTES.ja
> RPM-GPG-KEY
> TRANS.TBL
>
> So from little bit I do know, that seems to have all it needs to be bootable.
> I re-tested the hardware again by using the SuSE installation I have, it still
> boots from the CD no problem, so I don't suspect hardware is the issue at all.

So I talked to one of our pSeries guys today and he said that your
particular model was not supported by the 7.1 pSeries release that we
did.  :(  I'm not sure that there's any workaround.

> Thanks,
> Turnpike420
>
> BTW, Brent, you are at Red Hat correct? I believe you have ownership of a
> bugzilla report I made last week about user password issues when creating with
> the RH User Manager gui tool in RH 8.0 and have since delegated to a
> programmer??  Small world eh?  :)

Indeed, it is a small world.  I haven't had a chance to take a look at
that bug report yet, but hopefully I will soon.  :)

Cheers,
   Brent