[TriLUG] Speaking of ntp: that would be a great service for T rilug to provide.

Jaimie Livingston Jaimie.Livingston at HAHT.com
Tue Apr 29 12:48:13 EDT 2003

I am only aware of 1 public Stratum 1 (terrapin.csc.ncsu.edu) and 1
semi-public Stratum 2 (clock1.unc.edu) in North Carolina. I currently use
the Stratum 2 servers at VT-Blacksburg in VA (ntp-1.vt.edu and
ntp-2.vt.edu). I've found a few other NTP servers in the US that I can use,
but I've found that most Stratum 2 server operators are now implementing
regional or community access restrictions. If there are other open public
servers, I didn't find them in the Mills' Public NTP Lists, but I also
havn't look closely in a few months.

Wouldn't it be within TriLUG's charter to provide a Stratum 2 server to the
community at large, not just TriLUG'ers. It would be a reasonable service to
provide, and has the potential to give the group a larger exposure to the
business community that would take advantage of the server. Assuming that we
have somewhere to host the server...

Just a penny's worth...

Jaimie