[TriLUG] hassle of gui getting in the way (Re: Three questions about Knoppix)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed May 14 16:39:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, al johson wrote:

>    On another subject, I didn't think I was going to enjoy the last Trilug
> program, simply because since I deal with Dbase all the time (once you
> become relatively proficient in something that will run on DOS--you just
> don't want the hassel of a GUI getting in the way),

Not sure where you got the idea that Oracle was a GUI tool.  While there
are certainly various front-end GUI components available, as well as
many many ways of interfacing Oracle databases with your GUI applications,
these things hardly "get in the way" of running an Oracle system.  There
are thousands of text-only, SQL-based Oracle commands that an experienced
Oracle DBA learns -- it's definitely a text/terminal-based environment,
like DOS!

--Jeremy

--
|  Jeremy Portzer	jeremyp at pobox.com	trilug.org/~jeremy     |