[TriLUG] Posting Private E-mails to the List

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun May 18 22:15:01 EDT 2003

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 04:22 PM, Mark Shuford wrote:
> And I've got lots of clue. There are others here, I see, who need to
> be clued-in.

You've got lots of clue?  And, yet, you still post private e-mail to a
mailing
list?  That doesn't sound like clue to me.  That sounds rude, and
personally
I think you should apologize.  Since you say you've been around for a
while,
I'm sure you've heard of Netiquette.  See this page for a refresher
(http://help.dal.net/dnh/mail-rules.php), since it doesn't appear to
have
sunk in.  Specifically, see the section that says:

    "Never repost private email to the mailing list (or any other forum
or media)
     without permission of the original author. If you have permission
to repost a
     message or information, please credit the author and show their
email address."

> To answer your questions:
> I read Tanner's eMail. I picked it as the most _almost_ off-topic
> thing I could find, very carefully!

I'd be interested to know what criteria you used.  My post was about
our upcoming
meeting, which, by definition, cannot be off-topic (since this is the
trilug list,
not just a random linux list)

> I am a fully-paid member of TriLUG; are you?

Trilug membership is free (but I supposed you knew that and are
trying to be funny.  guess what, it's not working).

> I've been interested in (and using Linux) since 1993; and you?

You've been using Linux since 1993?  Congratulations.  What
was your first distro?   What distros have you used since then
and why? (Get the feeling that I'm trying to bring the conversation
back on topic? :-)

To answer my own questions, I've been using linux since early in 1994.
I started with Slackware (stacks and stacks of 1.44Mb floppies).  Used
Ygdrassil briefly (I think I installed it once), switched almost
immediately
to Red Hat.  Taught myself a lot about rpms, thereby making it much less
likely that I would use a non-rpm based distro.  Switched to Mandrake
in 1998 because I was looking for something that actually used Pentium
features (I had been exploring pgcc in Red Hat and Mandrake came already
compiled for i586).  I've been using Mandrake ever since.  I've flirted
briefly with both Debian and Gentoo and while I admire many things about
both of them, I'll probably stay with Mandrake for the time being.

Tanner Lovelace