[TriLUG] Posting Private E-mails to the List

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun May 18 22:51:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 22:15, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> To answer my own questions, I've been using linux since early in 1994.
> I started with Slackware (stacks and stacks of 1.44Mb floppies).  Used
> Ygdrassil briefly (I think I installed it once), switched almost
> immediately
> to Red Hat.  Taught myself a lot about rpms, thereby making it much less
> likely that I would use a non-rpm based distro.  Switched to Mandrake
> in 1998 because I was looking for something that actually used Pentium
> features (I had been exploring pgcc in Red Hat and Mandrake came already
> compiled for i586).  I've been using Mandrake ever since.  I've flirted
> briefly with both Debian and Gentoo and while I admire many things about
> both of them, I'll probably stay with Mandrake for the time being.

I've been using Linux since about 1995.  My first distribution was
Slackware, which I downloaded on about 10-15 floppies if I remember
correctly.  It was painful over a 14.4 modem!  I ran several versions of
Slackware, and switched to Red Hat Linux at about version 5.1.  I've
used every version of Red Hat Linux since then, except GinGin64, if that
counts!  :-)  I used to get CDs from cheapbytes.com, or used a burner at
work, but finally got my own burner a few months ago.

I've tried Debian and Mandrake briefly but never gotten into them.  I
guess I really should try them out longer, or perhaps something like
Gentoo or Crux, to gain more experience on other distro's.  I have used
Aurora SPARC Linux a bit, but that doesn't really count as it is heavily
based on Red Hat Linux 7.3.  I agree with Tanner, it will be hard to
switch to a non-RPM based distro; RPMs are way cool!

I've also been active on Usenet since ~1995, as well as a member of
TriLUG's mailing list since its start in 1998.  As far as I remember, I
have never once posted a private message to a public list in that entire
time, and I never will.

Regards,
Jeremy Portzer