[TriLUG] Server Check-Out / In-Use-Register software

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri May 23 23:55:37 EDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, bp wrote:

> What's C?  Just kidding.  I'm hoping to completely forget C as soon as
> possible.  That way I can spend all my hours better understanding Java
> just in time for the next great OO language to come out...

<flame retardent suit on>

Or, you could realize that OO isn't the end-all/be-all of programming
paradigms and switch to a multi-paradigm language (hmm... what could
that be..? Oh, right, C++. The most advanced language out there O:-)

:-)

</flame retardent suit on>

Seriously, though.  OO is very often not appropriate for things.
When it is, it works really well.  When it's not, it's like trying
to fit the square block through the round hole.  You shouldn't
think that one language will solve all your problems.  There are
times when Java is a good language and times when it is not.
Sometimes scripting languages like perl or python are the best.
C++ is useful a lot of time.  And, if you're writing low level
stuff like a kernel, C is most likely the appropriate language
(but not when you're writing widget sets, for crying out loud!).

If you're interested in discussing this more, btw, let's continue
this discussion on the Trilug development list instead of
starting yet another long, drawn out thread here on the main list.
(See the "CC:" field above.)

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

   Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
   order, will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin