[TriLUG] Reminder: TriLUG upcoming events; meeting tomorrow, installfest Saturday

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Jul 11 12:37:15 EDT 2003

actually, my presentation demonstrated several things that should never be
done with a production server (as i pointed out i was aiming for speed and
simplicity, not security).  the class on the 26th will focus more on doing
things the "right" way.  to wit:

1. never permit user logons unless absolutely necessary.  you can prevent this
by using the -s option with useradd, or by manually changing the shell in the
/etc/passwd file.  if users are only using their account for mail, change the
shell to /bin/false!

2. don't permit the use of weak passwords!  bob/bob would appear to be a
particularly bad combo :-)

3. use only imaps for remote mail access instead of normal imap.  you don't
want to be transmitting passwords in cleartext where they can be easily
sniffed, even on an internal network.

4. if you are using squirrelmail, make sure you connect to apache with https,
not http.  again, you want to avoid sending passwords in cleartext.  if
squirrelmail is running on the same box as the mailserver (as i demonstrated)
then imap is relatively safe since it's only used "inside" the server itself,
not across a network.  in this case you should configure imap to accept
connections from the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) only.

incidently, the demo server that i used during the presentation ended up
processing approximately 50MB of mail (800 fairly large messages, most were >
50k) before i shut it down.  i figure it was only accepting mail for about an
hour or so.  by far the most cpu cycles were consumed by spamassassin, this
could have been reduced significantly by using spamc/spamd (the daemonized
version of SA) instead of the traditional /usr/bin/spamassassin.

thanks to jeremy portzer for volunteering his laptop, to chris knowles for
lending me his laptop when we found that jeremy's couldn't do simultaneous
displays, and to roy for helping set everything up.  despite the slightly
"challenging conditions" i really enjoyed presenting the material and hope to
see at least a few of you at the mail server class on the 26th!

jason