[TriLUG] SCO Licensing fee's

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Thu Aug 7 09:50:05 EDT 2003

Personally,

I'd like to see them "Twisting in the wind." I can hear some nice "They
Might Be Giants" music from Flood playing in my head...... To bad that
SCO is going to be a MAJOR thorn in the computing industry's side for at
least another year or two.

The major problem, aside from SCO's stupidity, is the fact that the US
legal system is anything but "fast". IANAL (or even sane for that
matter) but it appears that the US court system is so bogged down in
legal skirmishes that it takes at least a year minimum before anything
can go to trial.

Even when the court is inclined to get something to trial quickly,
either the defense or the prosecutor one (or both) ask for extensions so
that they can prepare. This only furthers the problem as SCO continues
to demand payment WITHOUT any real proof or merit to their case. Just
because something is being debated in court does not automatically give
it merit in my opinion.

So while this is going to be a long agonizing (and anticipated) death
for SCO, their going to cause some considerable collective heartburn for
lots of people in the world.

The only real hope for a quick legal resolution that I see is for SCO to
continue to bark and snap at the big dogs. Before long they are going to
find a way to anger lots of big names that use linux..... Sharp (Zarus)
and Hollywood (Can we say FX studios that use linux to process digital
effects). Theres a bull fight I'd like to see. SCO against the
collective might of Hollywood. For once I might actually pull for the
hegmony of CA.

- -Weave