[TriLUG] OT: How to download an album

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 15:14:40 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 15:00, Roy Vestal wrote:
> Now before anyone goes nuts and chants for or against the RIAA, this has
> nothing to do with that.
>
> Now to the question:
>  I'm in a local band and we're trying to figure out how to get our album
> out there with minimal cost. An idea I have is a to allow folks to
> purchase the album online and download it. This would reduce the cost
> like crazy (no CD/label/shipping) and would allow us to "undercut" the
> cost of other albums. But I'm not sure how to go about this process.
>
> Has anyone seen this out there? Or does anyone do this now?
>
> Any info or leads would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Roy

Your problem is that you *must* depend upon the honor of folks on the
internet - unless you use some proprietary format for your music.

If you let folks download your music after paying a fee (via paypal or
some creditcard app) and they download it in a standard format then they
can easily share those files for free with their friends.

Of course folks can still do that with the CD's they purchase, if they
are smart enough to know how to rip a cd.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes