[TriLUG] Re: Offshoring (was: Linux / Solaris Position)

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Feb 19 09:24:45 EST 2004

Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Oooh, I dunno... if the experience I've had trying to get my car
> repaired recently is any indicator, there is a dearth of talent
> in the auto-repair business.  And still, I'd take welding or
> turning wrenches for a living over living on welfare or being a
> homeless hobo, if those were the choices...

<rant>

There's been a decline of talent (and manners) in all aspects of
American life for years now.  SAT scores are dropping, while our
competitors in India test much better at math & science that Americans
do.  While many people in India have the drive to learn IT skills so
they can "steal" our jobs, we just sit on our fat butts and watch
reality TV.  We believe that we are the best at everything, and are
*entitled* to the high salaries without having to prove we deserve them.

Also, how many IT professionals do you know that have that "everyone who
needs my help to use their computer is stupid, and I will belittle and
insult them as I DO MY JOB"?  I'm as worried about the outsourcing thing
as much as the next guy, but when I look over at the next guy I realize
that I should just find a new skill in an industry without the "a-hole"
reputation.

What would you do if you were the president of a corporation and you
could save millions by firing a few high priced arrogant jerks and
replace them with Indians with something in their heads besides the
results of the last American Idol episode?  (and for a quarter of the
price)  Its just bad business to pay more for less, and much of what
I've been seeing lately is showing that Indians are *providing* more for
less.

To date, I have NEVER seen an editorial/rant/whatever that encourages IT
professionals to be competitive, just a lot of belly-aching about us
losing our "entitlements".  You want to compete with Indians?  Throw out
your TV, stay off /. and buy some more books.  Oh yeah, and learn some
social skills, you self righteous pompous ace internet neophytes.  ;)
(stolen from another Trilug member <grin>)

</rant>

My $.02, whether it makes sense or not...

--mike  :)

btw, this email has nothing to do with anyone on this list, just a few
things I've noticed over the years working in IT.