dev resurgence (was Re: [TriLUG] simple regular expression to strip HTML?)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Feb 19 14:44:57 EST 2004

Ken Mink said the following on 2/19/04 10:21 AM:
> <SNIP>
>
>>// -*- c-mode -*-
>>
>>at the beginning or end of every file.
>>

> <VENT>
> If you're going to that, please for the love of God, make it:
> /* -*- c-mode -*-  */
>
> I'm working on a project right now porting an application from one
> platform to another. There are some modules written in C and some
> written in C++. However, the target platform's compiler is very strict
> and doesn't handle the '//' comment style in 'C' files.

If it doesn't handle the // comment style then it's not C99 compliant.
The // comment *is* valid C as of C99.  If it's not compliant then
you should get them to upgrade to a modern C compiler, for crying
out loud.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton