[TriLUG] New list member here

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Mar 24 19:12:39 EST 2004

Comcast has this "new" (their word, not mine) cable modem provisioning
system.  They connect the cable modem to the cable, the cable to the
outside box, the computer to the cable modem, pop a CD into the Windows PC
(no Linux support, allegedly), and it's supposed to do the rest.

Problem #1 is I don't have a CD ROM in my (only) PC down here (Sony Vaio,
PCG-505GX) and I'm not particularly interested in using Windows (I have it
for resume stuff, if need be).

Problem #2 (tangentially related) is that I'm still using my cell phone
with a 919 area code (and didn't sign up for a local number).
Unfortunately, that means Comcast's automated tech support line hangs up
on me because my phone number "isn't in [their] operating area."  :)

Problem #3 appears to be more sticky.  I broke down last night and used
Windows to connect so they could check the provisioning.  They had me
check a couple settings in Windows (dhcp, use dhcp to get dns) which I
don't usually have checked (that is, it worked fine at home under
RoadRunner without them) (I was using caching-nameserver on another system
for dns).

With those changes, I can surf under '98 through my Linksys
router/firewall.  However, running Red Hat 9 with caching-nameserver and a
192.168.1.x IP address, all I get are services for hosts I have listed in
/etc/hosts.  I haven't changed any settings, and the tech at Comcast said
that the router only allows physical transport layer access.

I can ping hosts I don't have listed but it returns as so:

corran:~# ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (68.87.96.200) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from act02.selfprov.pa.comcast.net (68.87.96.200): icmp_seq=1
ttl=243 time=46.2 ms
64 bytes from act02.selfprov.pa.comcast.net (68.87.96.200): icmp_seq=2
ttl=243 time=45.9 ms

--- yahoo.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1003ms

It would appear that (as they say) they route everything through their
provisioning service (the tech I spoke with alleged that it all goes
through port 80).

Got any ideas? :)

William