[TriLUG] DVD Burner?

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Mon Mar 29 13:55:01 EST 2004

The nice thing about these types of drives today is that they all use
standard interfaces and protocols.  I don't know of a common consumer
DVD burner that won't work in Linux.  Also, most of the lesser known
companies simply repackage well known brands.  My two burners, purchased
as a Liteon and some other brand, ending up being a Pioneer and an NEC.
They even show up in hardware probes as Pioneer/NEC.

Doesn't TigerDirect have a restocking fee?  If so, just to be safe, I'd
buy from a place that you could return it if there were any issues.  And
prices of $100 or less after rebates are common.  The NEC 4x DVD+R/RW
drive I bought last was only $60 (no rebates) from Staples during one of
their Tuesday sales.

--Reggie