[TriLUG] Linux tool for editing windows shortcuts

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 12:10:40 EST 2004

It was mentioned to me that I might need to be a bit more specific about my
request.

The situation is as follows:

We have a samba share which contains a few winders programs. In order to make
deployment of the tools simple we have created a windows shortcut for each of
the executables. The shortcut points to the executable utilizing a format
such as :

\\linux_server\samba_share\executalbe_directory\executable

The shortcut is then deployed to each of the clients which requires the share.

I have a number of customers which utilize a similar layout. The issue occurs
every time I want to add a new progam, and it's associated shortcut to a new
server.

the only way I currently know of building the correct path in the shortcut is
to use a windows environment to edit that shortcut.

My goal is to be able to edit the shortcuts via some tool and or method within
Linux. This will allow for a much faster deployment of new programs.

The problem is that the shortcut file program.lnk (or whatever it's called) is
a binary formatted file. Sure I can edit it in a hex editor, just looking for
a cleaner method.

Thanks,

Ron