[TriLUG] OT: Retail Sharkso

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Tue Apr 20 11:58:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 02:53, ALFRED JOHNSON wrote:
> Scott replied that they "didn't because there weren't
> enough customers asking for Linux repairs".  So the only thing they can
> repair is WINDOZE  machines. Now I know that there are a lot of
> Tri-luggers who have purchased their computers or computer parts at
> Intrex. I'm suggesting that we bombard Scott suggesting that they get
> at least one Linux technician who can work on our Intrex boxes.
> At the moment Scott thinks that there aren't many Linux users buying
> Intrex computers and parts !!!

At least your Intrex acknowledges Linux as *real* OS and doesn't seem to
want to spread the FUD.

Beats the Intrex here in Greenville, the guy behind the counter was
educating me on the problems of insecurity with open source software,
"because everyone can read the code and find the holes".  And, imagine
my surprise after learning that my Linux desktops are "not ready for the
desktop", I guess I've been in a 2 year hallucination *thinking* that
I'm getting my work done on a Linux desktop (gotta drink less coffee, I
guess).  When I brought up OpenBSD's security record (one remote hole in
7 years) and compared it to his precious Windows OS, he put me in my
place with a "err, hmmm... wow."  Guess open source isn't really all its
cut out to be, according to Intrex of Greenville.  Its one thing to not
know Linux as a user, but another thing entirely when you spout absolute
ignorance to your customers when you don't really know what you're
talking about.  That guy obviously formed an opinion without doing the
slightest bit of research, and will turn his customers away from Linux
or Open Source Software if asked.

I was not very impressed by the pricing anyway, if I dont need it *now*
then I'll order on-line.  I'd like to shop local, but I've yet to see a
local shop worth the stock their business cards are printed on, and
Intrex definitely will get no business from me.  AAMOF, I will recommend
them as wholeheartedly as that a-hole recommend Linux/OSS.  Even the
sales people at Best Buy just shrug when you ask.  Better than a lie.

Ahhh, nice $.02 rant to vent a little steam today...   ;-)

--mike