[TriLUG] Local electronics shop (yes, real electronics)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jun 1 22:06:00 EDT 2004

Okay, I happen to be looking for something in particular at the moment,
but this is a more general request.  I've seen the same request come up
before on the TriLUG list, as well, but not with any remarkable outcome,
so my expectations aren't terribly high.  I am relatively new to the
area (I moved here in November of last year), and would love to find a
local electronics shop that would carry basic electronics parts.  Things
that are a bit above and beyond the normal Radio Shack selection (which
I am grateful they do provide, when it meets my needs), ala medium to
large value capacitors, small-ish to medium size voltage regulators,
etc.  Icing on the cake would be things like a selection of PIC
processors, discrete logic chips, 1-wire Dallas Semiconductor products
such as the thermometers, etc.  I'm relatively sure I'm not the only
person who dreams of a local shop that carries products like this.  I
would be more than happy to pay a reasonable premium for them as well.
Stocking products like that locally would easily cost 1.5-2x what
Digikey or Mouser would charge for single-item purchases - which would
be more than fine with me.

So here comes the question.  What is the name of this magical location,
and can you provide directions and hours, or a link to their website?  :)

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - In case anyone is curious about my particular fancy of the moment,
I need a 5v 5a DC voltage regulator for building a power supply for use
with some mobile wireless gear in my car.  Something in a TO-263 package
would be nice, and really shouldn't cost more than about $2, but I'd be
more than happy to pay $5 to $10 for it locally, so I could have it
tomorrow night.  :)  The best solution for acquiring this of which I am
currently aware, would be to order one from Mouser or Digikey online -
total cost from Digikey = $1.92 + $5 handling + $1.95 shipping.  Bundle
it with an order of over $25 and the $5 handling fee goes away.