[TriLUG] Unisys issue

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 00:22:37 EDT 2004

Jeremy West wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> Here is my second question to throw out there.  I'm working with a company
> right now, who use a unisys system and dummy terminals.  (you know the ones
> with green lettering)  Anywho, they have this system they never use cause
> they hate it.  I'm currently searching for options as their IT guy.  It's
> such a nice server that I'd like to keep using it.  Can I load linux on it?
> Do they make color terminal screens?

I'm not sure about running Linux (or anything else) on the server
itself, as I don't have any direct experience with Unisys servers. But
I do know that there are some products out there to make working
with a unisys system easier.  We used the QTerm T27 terminal emulator
once, to connect an IVR to a Unisys box using "screen scraping."

Depending on exactly what you're trying to do, some of the products
from that same company might be of benefit to you.  Check 'em
out at http://www.qw.com/ if you'd like.

<gratuitous plug>
And if any of the options you're investigating involve keeping
the existing server / applications as is, and creating a web front-end
to them, or doing any integration using web service, my employer markets
a product, and accompanying services, for doing just that.  Feel free
to contact me off-list for more info.
</gratuitous plug>

TTYL,

Phil