[TriLUG] RedHat 9 and cups

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 08:12:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:12:25AM -0400, Jeff Groves wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 10:23:47PM -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> >
> >>I installed CUPS on a Red Hat 9 system (installed using yum).  I
> >>believe it's yum 1.1.17.  Anyway, the printer is a laserjet 1200
> >>connected via usb.  I keep getting "media tray empty" or "no pages
> >>found" errors when I try to print test pages.  Any ideas?  I'm
> >>downloading more drivers now, and I hope that fixes it, but if anyone
> >>has seen this error before I'd appreciate a heads-up.
> >

> >Run away :-)
> >
> >http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >
> >Sorry for not actually being useful.
>
> No, this was helpful.
>
> I'm apparently a real sucker for abuse.  Not only am I trying to use CUPS
> on Fedora Core 1, but I'm trying to print to a CUPS printer through Samba
> from a Windows 2000 machine.

That is not an unusual setup.  Using CUPS directly is painful.  The
_only_ way I can use cups is to let the KDE printer wizard set
things up.

I have my printer attached to the windows box.

> The URL above prompted me to have another go at getting it working again
> this morning and spent another 45 minutes of giving my monitor the finger...

I was happy to read it too.  I don't feel quite as stupid when
ESR finds it hard too.

Here's something interesting from the CUPS website:

<q>The CUPS distribution only provides sample drivers for Dymo, Epson, HP,
and Okidata printers. If you need drivers for other printers, or want
commercial- quality printer drivers, please visit our ESP Print Pro page
for information on our commercial printing solutions. ESP Print Pro
supports thousands of printers and includes graphical interfaces to
CUPS.<\q>

I have an Epson so I am not affected.  I wonder if KDE and Gnome
printer wizards provide more drivers for more makes and models?

> I've had my abuse for today.

You'll be back. Heh. You know you like it.

Printing drives me bonkers. If I pay myself $5/hour it's still
cheaper for me to buy Windows just as a printer server instead of
having to figure out Linux printing :-).

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.