[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Apache1.x Vs. Apache 2.x

James Lloyd Beidler james at layyze.com
Thu Sep 2 14:21:06 EDT 2004

Hi Matt,
  I have been running PHP and SM on my personal linux server using Apache
2.x for quite some time now.  I also helped a small college that uses
PHP and SM migrate to Apache 2.x a few months ago.  I encountered a few
basic problems in which PHP did not play right with Apache 2, but I
believe that most of these have been resolved in the past few months.
There are also a slew of websites out there, if you search for them,
that provide information on using SM under Apache 2.x and the problems
that you might encounter.
  However, I think that you need to examine your needs about whether or
not to use Apache 1.x or 2.x.  If you want to just toss up a web server
to check webmail on and not have to put a whole lot of effort into
setting it up, use Apache 1 because most distros have Apache, PHP, and
SM packages already available to play nice.  If you want to do a little
more tinkering, I would go with Apache 2.

-James