[TriLUG] using dhcp with a wireless card

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:25:15 EDT 2004

> I have it set restricted at home with a 64 wep key. I am trying to set it at the
> university without overwriting my home settings.

As stan pointed out, this can be handled with the interface
configuration.  ifcfg-eth[whatever].  Usually, the best answer is to
emulate your work/college network and secure your box.  Consider the
effort or time over functionality equation.  I find it's more useful
to limit MAC addresses on my network (UNC's model).

> Everything seems to work
> fine, but when I do #dhcpcd eth0, the card shuts down. For some reason I
> cannot make dhcp to work.

First thing I would check is that your ifcfg-eth0 has ONBOOT=yes.  It
could also be a driver issue (eh, Daleth).  The problem with this
setting, in my experience, is that certain cards, particularly PCMCIA,
haven't a driver loaded before the network tries to bring up the
interface.   I've seen boxes that will follow up and dchp the
interface and some that won't.  In those cases, a follow up script out
of rc.local helps.  Patrick Boyer's model would work in that scenario.

MPF