[TriLUG] OT: windows firewall

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Tue Oct 26 12:36:51 EDT 2004

I was also surprised to see the question referred to Windows lists.  It is
an effective opportunity to say, here is a perfect Linux application.  The
best answer, IMHO, is to put a Linux firewall between your Windows box and
the internet.  We do exactly this, with the easy-to-configure Shorewall.

http://shorewall.sourceforge.net/

Bob Shepherd

--- Triangle Linux
Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004
11:11:12 -0400, Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org> wrote:
> > Pedantry.
>

> > Elitism.
>
> No, just trying to keep the signal to noise ratio
at a high level so the
> list remains useful.  I think that's a useful goal,
and posts that complain
> about those efforts do not help to raise that ratio.
 This is a special
> interest list, which by definition means that some
topics are not
> appropriate for it.  If people are going to complain every
time someone
> points that out, then why bother even having the special interest?

> > The Windows post is indeed entirely off topic here.  However, I'm
happy
> > to talk about windows firewalls with him or anyone.  Particularly
since
> > the entirely unwritten subtext is: "If I were using a sane system
like
> > *BSD or Linux, this wouldn't even be a question... but these people
know
> > about firewalls..."
>
> If it was a question about how firewalls
worked, that would be one thing.
> It was not.  It was a question about what
windows product should I use.
> I see no reason for a post like that on a
linux list.

> > So I'm happy to allow it.  Particularly if the poster
puts an OT in the
> > subject line.  (lo and behold they did.  You were warned.)

> So, then you would support questions about what windows software

someone should use to do something?  Why bother even having
> a *linux*
list then?