[OT] Re: [TriLUG] cpu overheat

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 11:29:25 EST 2004

The last question/comment had me dazed for a moment... That is the whole
point of the fan, to help with the heat transfer from the heatsink to
the gasesous substance we call "air." Granted, without the fan there is
a certian amount of thermal tranfer between the sink and the air which
may be enough when the processor is running "cool."

My problem is that I tend to think of fans the same way as I think of
hard drives. If you spin it up and down often enough there is more wear
than if you just left it at a single constant speed the entire time.
Granted I'm not a mechanical engineer so this is just my opinion,
nothing more.

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of
the coffee bean that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains,