[TriLUG] the xinetd service sgi_fam

John Berninger johnw at berningeronline.net
Fri Jan 28 09:54:59 EST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, David McDowell wrote:

> Yes, CentOS 3.4 is based on RHEL 3 U4, and I tried that method... I
> also tried it in FC3 and someone else said they tried it in FC1 and it
> doesn't work.
>
> I would seem to me that chkconfig xinetd off would turn off the xinetd
> SERVICE where as things like imap, pop3, and sgi_fam are parts of that
> service, thusly, must be handled individually as previously mentioned,
> disable=yes added to /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam
>
> If anyone experiences otherwise, please let me know.  I'll be
> installing another CentOS 3.4 box today.

        chkconfig should work for xinetd sub-services the same way it
does for the xinetd and other top-level services.  "chkconfig sgi_fam
off", in my experience and according to what the great big blob that is
documentation says, should add that "disabled=yes" line and restart
xinetd all in one shot, with minimal to no output.

        If it doesn't work on FCx, please, file a bug - if it doesn't
work on CentOS, let me know privately and I'll check against RHEL, but
due to a number of other factors you probably shouldn't expect us
(meaning Red Hat) to give much of a flip if it work in RHEL and not in
CentOS.

--
John Berninger

GPG Key ID: A8C1D45C
        Fingerprint: B1BB 90CB 5314 3113 CF22  66AE 822D 42A8 A8C1 D45C

Ita erat quando hic adveni.