[TriLUG] [Slightly OT] Wi-Fi Consultant?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed May 25 16:21:28 EDT 2005

> Side story: I've been out to his house trying to get this to work like 5
> or 6 times.  About two weeks ago, I thought maybe it was cordless phone
> interference.  So I asked him if he had cordless phones.  Turns out he
> has SIX!  So he went out & bought new 5.8GHz phones and he says that
> helped for a bit, but now the problem (whatever it is) is back.

Make sure that your SSID and channel are unique.  I have seen some
flaky wireless behavior at my dad's house.  It turns out that he has
two neighbors that each use the default SSID and channel number for
Linksys routers.  I tried to hop onto one neighbor's network.  But
since his house is in between the two neighbors, I think I was getting
some crazy collisions.

Alan

.