[TriLUG] Ubuntu on my laptop, wow

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 24 10:14:50 EDT 2005

I wrote the list a few months back asking for recommendations on
distributions that make it easy for Laptops.  Got a lot of responses,
but overwhelmingly I head "Ubuntu" (well, Kubuntu also :))  So I finally
got around to kicking M$ in the face last night as it crapped out on me
(what a surprise) and so I installed it.  It booted with the wireless
already running.  Wow.  I used to use FC3 and the wireless gave me a lot
of trouble.  I could get it to work, but every time I updated the kernel
I had to reconfigure all the wireless stuff.  (Not knocking FC, it just
doesn't make it easy for laptop users)  So Ubuntu is great so far.  I
really know nothing about it yet, as I am not used to Debian.  My
desktop has been running Gentoo for quite some time now (I wouldn't even
begin to try to run that on my laptop), so I am used to the "dirty work"
side of Linux so to speak.  Ubuntu is quite refreshing.  I'm sure I'll
have some questions for you guys at some point along the way about it
though ;)  Thanks for the recommendation!

Randy Barlow