[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Aug 2 19:28:32 EDT 2005

Ken Mink wrote:
> But since we're talking about stability. My Intel box is a 300A
> Celeron that has been running stable overclocked to 450MHz for about 6
> years now. I don't remember what the mobo is, but the two have been
> great together.

I have a 300A overclocked to 450 here at the house, and I am sure it is
at least as old as yours.  It is however quite flakey now.  I built it
originally for my Father, and it has whatever ABIT board was popular at
the time.  It has changed hands twice since then, and it currently likes
to lock up randomly and frequently.

> That's the thing, it's the processor & mother board together. I don't
> think there's any problem with AMD processors, it's some of the cheap
> POS(not point of sale) mother boards that will kill you. I'm really
> partial to ASUS simply because I've never had a problem with an
> ASUS/AMD combo machine. I've also had good luck with Abit. YMMV.

I am currently disappointed with ASUS.  Everyone has spoken so highly of
them over the years, and I used one of their boards for the first time
almost a year ago.  It is an nforce board and if I use the onboard video
it locks up every few days.  I have tried the open and closed source
drivers, multiple versions and multiple kernels.  The open source were
worse than the open source.  I gave up playing with it and dropped an
AGP card in there.

The Shuttle board I used about 6 months before that doesn't have this
problem.  I was very happy with that board, it even had dual head VGA on
board.  I assumed after how well that went I would have no problem with
an ASUS.

Other than the video issue on the one, both machines run 24x7x365 with
no issues.

Pat